Gum Disease Treatment

Nonsurgical Periodontal Treatment

Regular dental cleanings are about much more than assessing the state of your teeth. Our Miami dental office uses your regular exams to review your entire oral cavity as part of our Gum Disease Treatment.

During your regular visits, we’ll check for cavities, abnormalities in your mouth, and signs of gum disease. Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss and a serious problem in our country. About 80 percent of Americans will have gum disease at some point in their lives, and even worse, the disease has been linked to problems like heart disease and diabetes.

At Greenstein Dental, we love to educate patients about the oral-systemic connection between their mouth and the rest of their body. By improving your oral health, we can improve your overall health!

A gum infection is so dangerous because if left untreated, it can make its way to the bone. Patients with severe gum disease, also known as periodontitis, often have loose teeth because the infection has deteriorated the bone and eroded the gums.

Patients with gum disease often have swollen, bleeding, or sore gums, but it’s possible to have gum disease and show no physical signs. Controlling the health of your gums involves brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and maintaining your regular dental appointments with our office. Flossing is important because brushing only cleans 60 percent of your tooth’s surface. To clean the other 40 percent of the tooth under the surface of your gums, it’s vital to floss.

At Greenstein Dental, we provide minimally invasive gum treatments to repair the health of your gums. These treatments include:

  • Scaling/root planing (“deep” cleaning)
    Localized application of antibiotics in periodontal pockets
    Deep Pocket Laser Therapy
    Crown lengthening
    Gingival (gum) grafting

Many of these above procedures are recommended as therapies to avoid more involved surgical modalities that were significantly more common years ago. With proper home care and adjunctive rinses to reduce inflammation, soft tissues of the mouth have an incredible ability to heal. Short-term use of antibiotics under the affected gums or lasers in the pockets around teeth allow for significantly less invasive therapy.

Today, many areas that show longer teeth and less gum tissue can once again be returned to a more normal appearance with grafting procedures. When teeth are too short to restore or a cavity is too close to the bone surrounding your tooth, crown lengthening can recreate the proper anatomy for a successful restoration and healthy tissue.

No matter the non-surgical approach, Greenstein Dental will help guide you for an efficient and effective resolution.

We recommend that patients with gum disease visit our office once every three months for a dental cleaning. The bacteria and plaque that cause gum disease can double within a matter of months, so it’s important to maintain these visits every few months to make sure your mouth is healthy.

If you have gum issues and need a reliable Miami dentist to handle your care, call us at 305-290-2293 or use our online form to schedule your first visit with us.

Greenstein Dental
11921 South Dixie Highway, Suite 206, Pinecrest, FL. 33156
Tel. 305.290.2293.